Cellulite is stubborn fat caught between bands of connective tissue causing a bumpy lumpy appearance on the hips, buttocks and thighs of most women and even some men.
Ninety percent of women have it. While hormones and age do play a role in the developing cellulite, they are not completely limiting factors. Cellulite can be reduced at any age.
1. The first and most important thing you can do for cellulite reduction is exercise. Exercise may be broken down into Cardiovascular Exercise and Muscular Strength and Conditioning Exercise.
– Cardiovascular Exercise will help you to burn calories and lose some of the fat that is caught between the bands of connective tissue. In order for cardiovascular exercise to be effective, you must manage to fit in at least 30 minutes 3 times per week. This 30 minute interval may be broken down into three 10 minute segments, two 15 minute segments or one 30 minute segment. Keep in mind that your metabolism stays elevated for a few hours after you do your cardiovascular exercise, so you continue to burn more calories even after you are finished. Cardiovascular exercise also helps to increase circulation which is crucial to reducing the appearance of cellulite.
– Muscular strength and conditioning exercises will increase muscle tone in the cellulite prone areas and result in a smoother more attractive appearance. Picture a freshly filled balloon. It is full of air and therefore very smooth. Now consider the skin covering your cellulite prone areas like the balloon. If you have lots of nice muscle tissue underneath, it will press up on the fat that is underneath and make it appear smoother. If you’re a women, do not fear becoming too muscular from strength training.
2. The next treatment for cellulite reduction is diet. It’s crucial to reduce or eliminate white sugar and white flour. This does not meant to cut out carbohydrates. It simply means to look for whole grain products instead of ones that are made from white sugar. Try to include lots of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet everyday. Whole fruits and vegetables contain fiber which is very important in regulating your digestive system. Try to drink lots of water as opposed to drinking fruit juices and soft drinks.
3. There are many types of treatments that help to reduce the appearance of cellulite. Some of these treatments are done in medical spas or are performed by dermatologists. The availability of these treatments varies by location. A list of cellulite treatments includes Endermologie, massage, body wraps and Velasmooth. Velasmooth is the first cellulite treatment to be approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration in the United States). There are home devices that claim to reduce cellulite that vary in cost and effectiveness. Many cosmetic companies offer topical treatments that may also reduce the appearance of cellulite. Be sure to check the ingredients for substances that may result in an allergic reaction due to user sensitivity.